Monday, September 28, 2009

Adorable Baby Thank You Cards

Recently, I was asked to design thank you cards for guests who attended a one year old's birthday party. I love baby related cards because they are always so cute! Many times, they include lots of pastel colors, and fun fonts.

I started off as I usually do for any custom requests by sketching out a few designs on paper. Either a ball point pen or a fine sharpie marker on the back of junk mail, the back of a napkin, or sometimes on a fresh sheet of regular letter sized printing paper. I thought it might be kind of cool to show how these sketches relate to the final product, so in this post and in some future posts, I'll be taking photos of the actual sketch I used before I transform it into a card or invitation in Adobe Illustrator.

As you can see, it's quite a rough sketch, but enough for me to get a good idea if it would work well for a card or not. I put together about six different sketches, and fully designed two of my favorites in Illustrator to send off for some feedback. The only client requirements were that I include "Thank You" and that there be some blue in the card, so it was pretty fun to be able to have the freedom to try anything.

The final card was based on the sketch that you see above. It's a blue flower with the birthday boy's name "Dylan" in the petals in colorful letters. The flower covers the corner of a rounded frame with little blue dots that match the inside of the flower. The flower was hand-glittered for some sparkle and texture, as well as the flower on the back of the card. The card was made of a pearlescent white metallic cardstock, and the envelopes were light blue.

I packaged the set of 20 cards by tying them in ribbon, wrapping them in tissue paper, and placing them in a silver box. Let me know if you like seeing the design sketches, and I'll make it a point to add more later on. If you would like to get some custom cards made, contact me at info@pinkorchiddesigns.com!

~Emilie

No comments: